Saturnalia was an ancient Roman festival in honor of the deity Saturn originally held December 17 and later expanded with festivities through December 23. The holiday was celebrated with a sacrifice at the Temple of Saturn in the Roman Forum and a public banquet, followed by private gift-giving, continual partying, and a carnival atmosphere that overturned Roman social norms: gambling was permitted, and masters provided table service for their slaves. The poet Catullus called it "the best of days." (Source: Wikipedia)
While the celebration is traditionally held on December 17th, we decided to move the event to the 28th to try and accommodate when people would be free of work and school obligations. This shindig runs from 3-6 PM EST (What time is that for me?).
- The chat will be held in CRLiterature
- The first half of the chat--from 3-4:30 PM EST--will be a party in the spirit of the decadence of Saturnalia. Drinking is highly encouraged.
- The second half of the chat--from 4:30 to 6 PM EST--is going to be an unofficial, decadence-themed Word Wars event! There will be a few prizes, but the big prize will be for the Contest winner!
That's right, we're also holding a satire writing contest. It opens on December 25th, and ends on December 27th. Winners will be announced in chat on December 28th and in a journal entry afterward!
- When: Contest opens at 3 PM on December 25th and ends at 3 PM on December 27th. That is exactly 48 hours, and gives Cassildra and neurotype time to judge entries. Winner will be announced December 28th during the chat event.
- What: Satire, bitches. No, seriously. neurotype wants 250 words of awesome satire babies. Quoth the CV: "if neuro gets another piece as hilarious as that thing she DD'd where the politician jizzes on the crowd, you win life"
- Prize: If you win, you will get 250 points, unless you include abs we can feel, and then it's a 50 point bonus. (Interpret that phrase as you will. Good luck.)
- Note Cassildra and neurotype with all contest entries! Otherwise, you'll be disqualified.